Topped with light and airy cornbread, chili becomes a completely new, enlivened dish with a unique and wonderful combination of flavors and textures.
Chili Under a Corn Bread Blanket
Author: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Recipe type: One-Pot Meals
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion; peeled, sliced thin
- 2 cans chili (15 ounce each)
- 1/3 Cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 1 box corn muffin mix (8 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 1/3 Cup low-fat milk
- Spray a 9-inch square glass baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes to soften. (Add a Tablespoon or two of water if the onion becomes too dry.) In a bowl, combine onion, chili and barbecue sauce. Spread into prepared pan.
- In a second bowl, stir together corn muffin mix and cumin. Whisk together egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients with a wooden spoon, mixing well.
- Spoon over chili and spread lightly.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until cornbread tests done in the center. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Yields 4 servings.