Chicken Stock for Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Stocks and Foundation Sauces
- 4 pounds chicken backs, necks
- 4 Quarts water
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 medium celery stalks, trimmed quartered
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- Add chicken to cold water, bring to boil and turn down heat. Add vegetables, simmer, skimming foam as needed. Simmer partially covered for 2 - 6 hours, add pepper corns and garlic last hour. When stock is done strain through a double layer of dampened cheesecloth and refrigerate, covered, over night. Next day carefully skim off fat.
- Stock will keep for about 3 days refrigerated or about 3 months frozen.
This basic stock makes what our editors called "the best chicken soup, ever."