One of the best Thai soups, Chicken Soup with Lemon and Ginger is extraordinarily flavorful, aromatic and tasty. Deelish!
Chicken Soup with Lemon and Ginger (Kai Tom Khing)
Here's another simple recipe. Straw mushrooms are available canned in the Oriental section of many supermarkets or fresh in Asian groceries. Enoki mushrooms would probably be a good substitute.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 12 ounces chicken breast, diced
- 4 Cups water
- 4 ounces straw mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 small green chilies, sliced in rings
- 2 spring onions, chipped
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a saucepan or wok and fry the garlic until soft but not brown.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes. cool a little. Add the water and mushrooms. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice. Cover, and cook gently for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the chilies, spring onions and ginger. Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves before serving.
From "Discover Thai Cooking" by Chaslin, Canungmai and Tettoni, Times Editions, Singapore.