There are almost as many recipes for Chicken Paprikash as there are Hungarian cooks. This is a simple version; others add chopped green pepper and diced fresh tomatoes.
Our tasters thoroughly approved when light sour cream was substituted for the higher-fat regular product. By using a nonstick-coated Dutch oven and leaving the skin on the chicken, only 1 Tablespoon of butter was needed during browning.
- 4 large chicken half-breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow or Spanish onion; finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 Cup dry white wine
- 1/4 Cup chicken broth
- 1 Cup light sour cream
- 1 pound egg noodles, cooked and warm
- Cut each chicken half-breast into 2 pieces. Melt butter in nonstick Dutch oven; saute half the chicken pieces until browned on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining chicken; remove from pan. If desired, remove skin from chicken.
- Add onion to pan; saute until transparent. Stir in salt, pepper and paprika. Gradually add wine and chicken broth. Replace chicken, cover and simmer over low heat until chicken is tender, 35 minutes.
- Remove chicken. Stir in sour cream into sauce until well-blended. Do not let boil. Serve chicken and sauce with cooked noodles.
The Devil's Dentures are simply wonderful confections perfect for the Halloween season. The kiddies ...
Tasty, nutritious and tropical, Jamaican-Style Greens are a glorious way to serve earthy greens with...
You will savor every spoonful of Barley Lentil Soup for its incredible flavors and textures. Just a ...
Fried Chicken is an American standard, and one of the country's most commercially sold foods. Homema...