Chicken Gravy with Herbs makes any roasted chicken a luscious delight of impeccable flavor, providing moisture for dry meat.
Chicken Gravy with Herbs
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: 32 ounces
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 ounces all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 Tablespoon shallots, finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- pinch salt, to taste
- pinch pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried, ground
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, Add the shallots and cook until translucent, also adding the sprig of rosemary and infuse over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove the sprig, draining all the butter from it. Reserve the sprig.
- Add flour, whisking to incorporate the flour and butter thoroughly. Let it cook for 5 minutes until the mixture turns blond or golden but not browned. It should bubble gently.
- Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Add chicken broth and whisk until thoroughly mixed and thickened. Add more broth if too thick. If too thin, raise the heat a little higher and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Return the rosemary and simmer 5 minutes to ensure the flavor is well incorporated.
- Remove and discard the rosemary. Whisk thoroughly.