Chicken Fried Chicken is an amazing Southern culinary creation, packed with flavor. The meat is tender and moist, and the gravy makes this the perfect comfort food. In times of stress this dish, served with mashed potatoes, corn niblets and other side dishes restores one faith and eases discomfort.
- 8 chicken breasts, boneless and skinnless, tenderloins removed,about 1 inch thick (about 2 pounds)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 2/3 Cup unbleached flour
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika or chili powder
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup of reserved pan drippings
- 1/2 Cup of reserved seasoned flour
- 2 to 3 Cups of milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
- pinch of paprika (if desired)
- Place each of the chicken pieces between two sheets of plastic wrap then using a rolling pin or meat pounder, pound to a 1/2-inch thickness.
- In a bag, add the flour, salt, pepper and paprika or chili powder. Seal and shake to mix. Spread on a large pie plate.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a 12-inch skillet, using medium heat. Cast iron skillets are great for this recipe.
- In another pie plate, beat the milk and eggs together.
- Dip each piece of steak first into the egg mixture then into the flour mixture, coating completely. Shake gently to remove the excess flour mixture.
- Fry the breaded chicken pieces, two or three at a time (don't crowd them), about 8 minutes on a side or until golden brown on each side, and thoroughly crisp.
- Serve with biscuits and cream gravy.
- After the chicken pieces are cooked, set them on a platter and reserve in a warm oven (200 degrees).
- Remove all of the oil from the skillet except for 1/2 cup.
- Over medium heat, sprinkle in the 1/2 cup of reserved seasoned flour a little at a time. Cook, stirring constantly until a light blond color. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of milk until fully incorporated and until mixture begins to thicken.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let cook for a few minutes, adding additional milk, if needed, to reach desired consistency. The gravy should be just a little thicker than heavy cream.
- Taste, season with salt and plenty of pepper and adjust as needed. Add paprika if desired. Whisk thoroughly.
- Add one chicken piece per plate. Portion mashed potatoes and vegetables. Spoon gravy over the chicken and add additional gravy to the plate. Serve any reserved gravy in a gravy boat.
Blueberry Crepes are extraordinary. They're perfect for desserts and glorious as a breakfast or brun...
Despite the whiskey, Tipsy Grilled Chicken with Bourbon Maple Glaze is safe to serve to your kids. T...
The Caramel Apple was created to please young and old alike in the colder months. The basic recipe ...
Rich, sultry, seductive and alluring, Chilled Avocado and Grapefruit Soup with Chipotle Chile Puree ...