Chicken Divan is a wonderful recipe that blends healthy broccoli with chicken for a glorious dish everyone loves. Simply delicious comfort food at its best.
Chicken Divan is named for the restaurant in New York's Chatham Hotel, the Divan Parisien where it was created by Chef Lagasi (no, not Emeril). The word "Divan" means 'a meeting place".
Author: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1/4 Cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 1 Cup milk
- grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons finely shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ground white pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 pound sliced cooked chicken (to 1 pound); at room temperature
- Wash broccoli florets and steam until just tender, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk. Cook, stirring with whisk, until thickened and smooth, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in 2 Tablespoons Parmesan and Gruyere cheese. Remove pan from heat.
- Add hot pepper sauce; season to taste with salt and white pepper. Preheat broiler, if necessary.
- Coat 4 ovenproof ramekins with cooking spray. Place 1/4 of broccoli in bottom of each dish; top with 3 to 4 ounces chicken.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup cheese sauce evenly over each serving.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Broil until tops are lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes.