Chicken Divan Casserole has an alluring combination of flavors, well suited to family meals, appealing to young and old alike. Simple and delicious.
Chicken Divan Casserole
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast halves, skinned
- 6 Cups water
- 1 bouquet garni*
- 20 ounces frozen broccoli spears
- 2 Tablespoons corn oil spread or butter
- 1/4 Cup (plus 1 Tablespoon) all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup evaporated skim milk
- 3 Tablespoons cooking or dry Sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Place chicken in a Dutch oven; add water and *Bouquet Garni (3 sprigs fresh parsley, 1 bay leaf, 6 whole black peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme, all enclosed in a double layer of cheesecloth and tied securely). Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken and Bouquet Garni from broth, reserving 2 cups broth. Discard Bouquet Garni. Chill reserved broth, and skim congealed fat from surface. Bone and slice chicken; set aside.
- Cook broccoli according the package directions. Drain well. Arrange broccoli spears crosswise in a 13x9x2" baking dish. Set aside. Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add reserved broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in milk, sherry, salt, and pepper.
- Pour half of sauce over broccoli and top with chicken slices. Add 2 Tablespoons cheese to remaining sauce in skillet; stir until well blended, and pour over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tablespoons cheese, and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until casserole is thoroughly heated and top is golden brown.
Serving size: Per serving Calories: 241 Fat: 8 g Saturated fat: 2 g Carbohydrates: 12 g Sodium: 362 mg Protein: 29 g Cholesterol: 64 mg