With a tangy, piquant sauce, this simple recipe for barbecued chicken is often used for making great Summer sandwiches with coleslaw on a hard roll, or served with simply cooked vegetables as a main course.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (to 4)
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- BBQ Sauce:
- 1/2 Cup ketchup
- 1/4 Cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon finely-minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Chipolte in adobo sauce; pureed in food processor
- 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- For the BBQ Sauce: Mix all ingredients together well.
- Place chicken breasts in 2/3 of the BBQ sauce, reserving 1/3 for basting. Roll the breasts in sauce, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove chicken from sauce, season with salt and black pepper. Brush with 1/3 reserved BBQ sauce while it is grilling. Grill until done then remove from heat.
This recipe yields 2 to 4 servings.
Comments: Chipolte, or smoked jalepeno chiles (often sold canned in an adobo sauce), is a pungent and flavorful ingredient. If you want more character and more "heat," simply add more Chipolte to the BBQ sauce.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 96 Calories; trace Fat (2.8% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 847mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
NOTES : Recipe developed for Char-Broil by Chef Chis Koetke, an award-winning chef for many years in France and in Illinois, who is currently teaching at the School of Culinary Arts at Kendall College in Evanston, IL
Notes: Chef Chris Koetke
Shaved Fennel Salad is magnificently flavored with Parmesan cheese, green olives, lemon and other de...
Pumpkin Soup with Ginger is based on the French 'Potage au Potiron' and is an incredibly wonderful, ...
Tiramisu has become an international favorite dessert, served around the globe in great Italian rest...
Wonderful in the morning with coffee and juice or in the afternoon with tea. Simply put, Butterscotc...