A family favorite and American classic, the Chicken Casserole is easy to make, packed with flavors everyone enjoys and fun for young and old.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 Cups boned cooked chicken
- 6 slices day-old bread, preferably a firm bread like challah
- 1/2 Cup chopped onions
- 1/2 Cup chopped celery
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons pimento
- 2 large eggs; beaten
- 1 1/2 Cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 Cup grated cheese (Cheddar, Jack, Swiss, or Parmesan, as desired)
- Dice 2 slices of bread and place in bottom of casserole dish.
- Mix onion, celery, pimento, salt, chicken and mayonnaise. Spoon over bread.
- Dice 4 slices of bread and place over chicken mixture.
- Mix milk and eggs and pour over casserole.
- Place in refrigerator for one hour or overnight.
- Before baking, spoon mushroom soup over casserole.
- Bake one hour at 325 degrees.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top of casserole in the last 5 minutes of cooking time.