For an easy, simple meal, try making Chicken, Bacon and Leek Cottage Pie. Packed with great taste your family will enjoy with every bite.
Chicken, Bacon and Leek Cottage Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken thigh fillets, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 2 leeks, sliced, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon plain flour
- 1 Cup plus 2 teaspoons chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons low-fat crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 24 ounce package fresh mashed potatoes
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 ounces cheddar, grated, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or shallow casserole. Add the chicken and bacon and cook until golden. Add the leeks and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Scatter over with the flour and stir until absorbed.
- Gradually pour in the stock then cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat showing and the sauce has thickened.
- Preheat the broiler to its highest setting. Stir the crème fraîche or cream into the chicken mixture and season well. Carefully pour the mixture into a large baking dish.
- Heat the mashed potatoes following the package instructions, then stir in the parsley and cheese. Spoon it evenly over the chicken mixture, then top with a little extra cheese. Broil until the topping is golden and crisp. Serve.