This is an ideal recipe for winter. The refreshing days of a forthcoming Springtime are abundant in every morsel as the lemon adds a perfect lightness to this dish.
Chicken and Lemon Casserole
A British recipe that's full of deep, bright and enlivening flavours. Easy and economical.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Casseroles
- 6 chicken joints
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 stick (2 ounce) 50 g butter
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons plain flour (all purpose)
- 1 1/4 Cups (1/2 pint) 300 ml chicken stock
- 1 lemon, peeled and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) Gas Mark 5.
- Wipe the chicken joints and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and fry the joints quickly until golden brown all over.
- Transfer to a casserole.
- Add the onion to the frying pan and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, stirring.
- Add the lemon, bay leaves, seasoning and sugar.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook in the oven for about 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the lid 15 minutes before the end of cooking time so that the joints brown.