Chicken and Chestnuts
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Poultry
- 10 ounces skinned and boned chicken, 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1/4 Cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped scallion (green onion)
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon minced pared ginger root
- 6 small chestnuts, boiled and peeled
- 3/4 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon dry Sherry
- 1/2 packet instant chicken broth and seasoning mix (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon each granulated sugar and Chinese sesame oil
- 1 dash pepper
- In medium bowl combine chicken and soy sauce; cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In 9-inch skillet or a wok, heat peanut oil over medium heat; add bell pepper, scallion, garlic, and ginger and saute until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes. Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, to vegetable mixture, stirring after each addition.
- Add chestnuts, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring constantly, until chicken begins to brown, about 2 minutes; stir in water, sherry and broth mix and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1 minute.
- To reserved marinade add cornstarch, sugar, sesame oil and pepper and stir to dissolve cornstarch; pour over chicken mixture and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil and cook until thickened.