Chestnut, Walnut, and Red Wine Loaf
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 onion; peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk; finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic; crushed
- 12 ounces roughly mashed fresh - chestnuts
- 12 ounces cashew nuts; grated
- 4 ounces walnuts; grated
- 1/2 Cup red wine or stock
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Brandy or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper
- tomato slices
- lemon slices
- parsley sprigs
- Set oven to 375 degrees F, 190 degrees C Gas 5.
- Grease and line a 2 pound loaf pan with a long strip of waxed paper.
- Fry onion and celery in butter for 7 minutes then add the garlic and cool a further 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Turn mixture into waxed paper lined loaf pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and cook another 15 minutes until the loaf is firm in the centre.
- Remove loaf from the oven and allow to stand 3 to 4 minutes.
- Loosen the edges with a knife and turn loaf out onto a serving platter.
- Garnish with tomato, lemon and parsley.