Whether using fresh cherries or frozen, Cherry Pie is a glorious treat that is always a favorite, not only for Presidents, though George Washington would be delighted, no lies! Deelish!
- pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- 5 Cups sour cherries, packed in water or individually quick frozen
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup quick-cooking tapioca or 1/2 Cup Pie Filling Enhancer
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, optional
- a little sugar for topping
- Divide the dough in half, and roll one half into a 13" circle. Transfer the circle to a 9" deep pie pan.
- Drain the cans of cherries, reserving 2/3 cup of water from one of them. Place the cherries and reserved liquid in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon, and tapioca or Pie Filling Enhancer. Stir this into the cherries until everything is evenly combined.
- Stir in the almond extract and salt. If you're using tapioca, let the filling sit for 20 minutes before using it to fill the pie shell. This will thicken the filling and make it better on the whole.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry-lined pan, and dot with butter, if desired.
- Roll out the second crust and place it on top of the filling. Cut a few slits or a star shape into the top to vent steam, and squeeze/seal the top and bottom crusts together, fluting with your fingers or a fork. You may also choose to make a woven lattice crust. Sprinkle the top with granulated sugar.
- Place the pie on a parchment-lined (to catch any spills) baking sheet, and bake in a preheated 425 degrees F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- Remove the pie from the oven, and cool it on a rack before slicing, so the filling can set.
Chicken Soup with Galangal is one of the most flavorful Thai soups. Rich and zesty, it has refreshin...
This incredible Avgolemono Soup is greatly complemented by the addition of cod, giving one the excep...
Blackberry Fool is a luscious pudding made by blending pureed blackberries with whipped cream. Garni...
Whether it is served as an appetizer or a main course for breakfast, Creamy Mushrooms on Toast is al...