Cherry Clafoutis is an extraordinary country French recipe using fresh cherries to create a light and luxurious dessert. Perfect for a summer’s eve. Traditionally, the cherries are unpitted, so beware when eating. The flavor makes up for the risk of a broken tooth.
- 1 1/2 pounds cherries; stemmed, and pitted if desired, see * Note
- 3 Tablespoons Kirsch
- 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar (to 8 Tablespoons)
- 3 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 Cup unbleached or all-purpose flour; sifted
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup yogurt
- salt, to taste
- butter; for greasing
- powdered sugar; for dusting
- * Note: Traditionally, the cherries are unpitted to prevent cherry juice from leaking into the batter and discoloring it. If you fix it this way, be sure to remind guests that there are pits.
- Toss cherries with kirsch and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in bowl. Let sit 30 minutes. Drain liquid from cherries and combine with milk and yogurt.
- Split vanilla bean and scrape out seeds. Beat eggs with seeds from vanilla bean in bowl of electric mixer, or with whisk, and add 4 to 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, depending on sweetness of fruit. Slowly beat in flour. Add milk mixture and dash salt. Mix together well. (Ingredients can also be combined in blender and mixed at high speed.)
- Arrange cherries in greased 10-inch or 10 1/2-inch ceramic tart dish or clafoutis dish. Pour in batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees until top is browned and clafoutis is firm, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly on rack.
- Place 2 to 3 teaspoons powdered sugar in strainer and tap it above clafoutis to dust.
- Serve warm.
Recipe by Martha Rose Shulman, author of many cookbooks on vegetarian and light eating
A fast and easy aromatic dressing that's best suited for salads, but also makes an exceptional dip f...
Crab Salad Sandwiches are delightful, with sweet, succulent meat, and the gentle crunch of celery an...
The taste of Olde and New England is evident in every bite of our tasty Pear, Cranberry and Horserad...
White Bean and Swiss Chard Stew presents a marvelous compilation of flavors to make a delicious soup...