Delightful Cheesy Mushroom Canapes can make a simple party a great event. Combine these little treasures with others for superb party fare.
Cheesy Mushroom Canapes
Recipe type: Appetizer, Canapes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8 slices French bread (3/4-inch thick)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- fresh parsley sprigs (optional)
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add mushrooms and cook gently 2 minutes. Add flour and stir into mushroom mixture.
- Add cheese, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and heat through gently 2 minutes or until mixture begins to melt. Remove from heat and season to taste with pepper.
- Preheat broiler. Toast bread on one side only.
- Spread cheese and mushroom mixture on untoasted sides.
- Broil in preheated broiler 3 to 4 minutes or until melted and bubbling.
- Cut slices in half and sprinkle liberally with parsley and paprika.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired, and serve hot.