Cheese Fondue, American Style
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 4 cans Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup, undiluted
- 1 pound Cheddar cheese sharp, grated
- 5 cloves fresh garlic or 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons Kirsch or cherry Brandy
- French bread, cut in 1 inch cubes
- ham, cut in 3/4 inch cubes or rolled, 1 inch wide, on toothpicks
- shrimp, medium to large, cooked, peeled and deveined, on toothpicks
- smokie links, cooked and on toothpicks
- cocktail wieners, cooked, on toothpicks
- hot dogs, cut in 1 inch lengths, with toothpicks
- smoked sausage, cut in 1 inch lengths, with toothpicks
- turkey, chicken breast, cooked, cut in 1 inch cubes, on toothpicks
- turkey ham, cooked, cut in 3/4 inch cubes, on toothpicks
- broccoli, cooked barely, bright green
- cauliflower, cooked barely, with toothpicks or cocktail forks
- carrots, cooked, preferably small
- mushrooms, raw
- brussel sprouts, cooked, with toothpicks
- cherry tomatoes, raw, with toothpicks
- celery stalk, raw
- radishes, raw
- steak bits, cooked, cubed in 1 inch pieces on toothpicks
- Heat cheese soup in fondue pot or heavy skillet on low. Slowly add grated Cheddar cheese, Kirsch, and garlic (for best results use freshly pressed) If mixture looks too thin, add 2 or 3 Tablespoons flour to a small amt. of cold milk, stir until smooth, and slowly add to pot while stirring.
- FRENCH BREAD: get the baguettes if available in your area, if not, any type will have to do. Be sure to heat it in oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, then cut it into bite sized pieces. It's best when crusty.
- MEAT DIPPERS: (heat and cut into bite sized pieces any or all of these). Ham, shrimp, smokie links, cocktail wieners, smoked sausage, turkey breast, chicken breast, turkey ham, steaks, including filet mignon, and hot dogs.
- VEGETABLE DIPPERS : (slightly cooked, do not overcook, or else the pieces will slip off the fondue fork and get "lost" in the pot, or raw), cut into bite sized pieces Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, Brussel Sprouts, cherry tomatoes, celery stalk, radishes.
- VARIATION: Instead of Cheddar cheese soup use Campbell's Nacho cheese dip (soup) in cans, and substitute part or all of it for regular Cheddar cheese soup, or add some finely chopped jalapeno peppers to the cheese mixture for extra zest.
- SPECIAL HINTS: Serve to company (it's always a hit!) on a cold fall day for lunch, or a freezing winter's night, or warm their hearts during a gentle spring rain. Best if served accompanied by champagne or wine. Best mood is created if candles are lit and a fire is blazing in the fireplace.
- Sit fondue pot with fondue in the middle of the table, pot on low heat. Place dippers in individual bowls. Each guest gets a fondue fork and first spears a dipper with it, then dips it into the cheese sauce, twirl it around slowly and balance into mouth. Very addictive, so be careful. (Renate's own recipe developed and perfected over many years). Enjoy!