Sometimes a lunch classic can be adapted with a simple ingredient. That’s just what we did with Cheddar Grilled Cheese with Apple. You’ll enjoy the gooey goodness of melted cheese, and the outstanding crispness of apple. A perfect combination.
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 Granny Smith or other crisp, tart apple, cored, not skinned, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 4 slices whole wheat or country white bread
- 4 slices sharp cheddar, or 1 Cup shredded, divided
- Butter one side of the bread and reserve.
- Heat a frying pan (non-stick is best) over medium heat and place two slices of bread, buttered side down.
- Layer one slice of cheddar, several apple slices and another slice of cheddar, then top with the remaining slices of bread, buttered-side up.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, turn over carefully, and cook for another two minutes or until the bread is browned and crusty. Use a spatula to gently press down, cook one more minute and move to the cutting board. Slice the sandwiches in half, diagonally, and serve.