Champorado is an exceptional Filipino dish served for a dessert or breakfast and is a deliciously chocolate version of rice pudding. Simply made, but wonderful.
Champorado (Chocolate Rice)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 Cup rice
- 5 Cups water (up to 6)
- 1/2 Cup sugar (to taste) (up to 1)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons cocoa (You could probably substitute chocolate syrup for the cocoa and sugar.)
- Wash rice if necessary and drain. Boil gently in a covered pot with the water for 15 minutes or until rice is partially cooked.
- Mix sugar, cocoa and salt and add to rice. Simmer covered for 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- When done, this will be slightly "soupy" -- sort of like those nice brownie puddings. But it solidifies when refrigerated.
- Serve very warm, with milk or cream as shown, if desired.