Champ Mashed Potatoes are a national classic, representing a united Ireland’s history and taste for the delightful spud. This recipe is a creamy treat.
Champ Mashed Potatoes
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes (peeled and halved)
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 bunch green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 ounces salted butter
- Place potatoes into large pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain well. Return to very low heat and allow the potatoes to dry out for a few minutes.
- (It helps if you place a clean dish towel over the potatoes to absorb any remaining moisture.)
- Meanwhile, heat the milk, cream and green onions gently in a saucepan, until warm.
- Mash the potatoes, salt and butter together until smooth. Stir in the milk and green onion until evenly mixed.
- Serve piping hot in bowls. Set out some extra butter for individuals to add to their servings.