Celery Root or Celeriac is sold in most supermarkets. It is not commonly used in salads, but makes an excellent side dish, as this salad should be served.
Celery Root Salad
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Salads and Dressings
- 1 1/4 pounds celery root; 1 large celeriac
- water; to cover
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 black peppercorns
- 5 coriander seeds
- salt and sugar, to taste
- Peel celery root thoroughly, trimming away any peel trapped in depressions.
- Place celery root in a saucepan and add the water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until celery root is tender when pierced with a fork (about 40 minutes, depending on size). Drain and let cool, then slice thinly; place slices in a shallow bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup water and the remaining ingredients; stir well to dissolve sugar and salt. Pour marinade over celery root; it should cover slices completely. Cover bowl and refrigerate 1 hour.