Caviar Patrijani (Georgian Caviar)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 Cups water
- 2 large (1-1/2 pounds) eggplants
- 2 medium (1 Cup) ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2 (1 Cup) red or green sweet pepper; cored, seeded, and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons corn oil
- 2 medium (1 Cup) onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Several different cultures bake, char, boil, or broil eggplant in one form or another & prepare & appetizer or salad.
- The Georgian version, in my opinion, is most flavorful. It is best eaten cold.
- 1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in large pan, put in whole eggplants, cover, & cook over moderate heat for 15 mins, which is enough to soften them. Drain, cool, & peel eggplants. Press the liquid gently thru metal sieve.
- Process tomatoes & peppers to a puree, then add eggplant. Heat oil in a skillet & stir-fry onions over moderate heat for 2 to 3 mins, until golden. Add puree & stir-fry over low heat for 10 mins.
- Turn out mixture into bowl & briskly stir in garlic, salt, pepper, & wine vinegar. Refrigerate. Serve cold or at room temp.