Cauliflower is somewhat bland on its own, but made into this exceptional ‘au gratin‘, it shines as a brilliant side dish your family will enjoy often.
Cauliflower au Gratin
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dishes
- 1 medium cauliflower head
- 2 Tablespoons butter; melted
- 2 Tablespoons flour; all-purpose
- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese; grated
- 1 Cup Swiss cheese; shredded
- 1/2 Cup ham; cooked, chopped
- 1/2 Cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 Cup butter; melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Wash cauliflower, and break into florets. Cook, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water about 10 minutes or until done; drain. Place in a 2-quart casserole; keep warm.
- Combine 2 Tablespoons butter and flour; cook over low heat until bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Add cheese, stirring until melted; add ham.
- Spoon sauce over cauliflower.
- Saute breadcrumbs in 1/4 Cup butter until golden; spoon over sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until sauce has browned nicely.