The aromatic pleasures of Catalan Kale, Potato and Garlic Soup disguise its nutritious and vitamin-rich value, but disclose its unquestionable flavor!
Catalan Kale, Potato and Garlic Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 6 to 8
- 16 large cloves garlic; peeled
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and finely minced
- 6 Cups chicken stock; (or 8)
- 1 1/2 pounds kale; stemmed, washed, and torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium all-purpose potatoes; peeled and finely diced
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream; optional
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan, add the garlic cloves, and blanch for 2 minutes.
- In a 4-quart casserole melt the butter with the oil over medium heat. Add the stock, kale, diced potatoes, and blanched garlic cloves and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, partially cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove about 2 cups of vegetables from the broth, excluding the garlic cloves, and reserve.
- Strain the soup into a large bowl. Transfer the drained vegetables to the workbowl of a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Whisk the pureed vegetables into the strained broth and return to the casserole.
- Add the reserved 2 cups of cooked vegetables and the optional heavy cream.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and correct the seasoning and serve hot, accompanied by a crusty loaf of French bread.