Cassoulet de Poissons
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Seafood
- 3/4 pound dried white beans (such as great northern)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 3/4 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 trout (about 1 pound each) or
- 30 ounces whiting (6 at 5 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 pound monkfish fillets
- 6 sea scallops
- 3/4 Cup dried bread crumbs
- 1. Soak the beans overnight in cold water to cover. Drain and rinse. transfer to a large saucepan and cover with 4 to 5 inches of fresh cold water. Peel the whole onion and stud with the clove and add to the pan along with the bouquet garni. Bring to a boil and skim the froth that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Season to taste wth salt. Add the carrots and continue simmering until the carrots and beans are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain; discard the bouquet garni and the onion.
- While the beans are cooking, heat 3 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a frying pan over low heat. Add the chopped onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until tender but not colored. Add garlic and cook one minute. Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Clean the trout (or whiting) and cut into 1 inch slices. Cut the monkfish fillets into 1 inch thick slices. Cut the scallops in half cross-wise. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the trout (or whiting) slices and saute until golden brown on both sides; set aside. Brown the monkfish and sliced scallops in the same way; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the tomato mixture and drained beans in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Spread one-half of the mixture over the bottom of a 10x15" gratin dish. Arrange the fish and scallops on top and cover with the remaining bean mixture. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Bake until the bread crumbs are golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
Serve hot with crusty warm french bread.