Some soups are just as tasty hot as they are cold. However you serve Carrot Soup with Cucumber Pistachio Relish, add the garnish at the last minute to preserve its contrasting texture. The soup is visually appealing and incredibly delicious.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large (about 2 cups) onion, diced
- 4 Cups (about 10) chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 1/2 Cup diced seedless cucumber
- 1/2 Cup chopped pistachios
- 2 Tablespoons crystallized ginger, diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped mint
- Make the soup: Heat oil over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots, and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, curry, and cayenne and cook for 1 more minute. Add 5 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until carrots are tender - about 15 minutes.
- To serve cold, allow the soup to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. The soup may be served hot or cold. To serve hot, skip this step.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice and vinegar and set aside.
- Make the relish: Combine the cucumber, pistachios, ginger, cilantro, mint, and remaining salt in a small bowl.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with relish.
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Publications.
Play up the vibrant hue of this colorful soup in sparkling-white bowls.
Mary Ann Esposito’s Sardinian Fish Soup is a treasure trove of delicate flavors found on the bejewel...
A wonderful side dish for roast meats, these citrus-flavored carrots are made in the microwave and a...
You'll love the delicate flavors in Pad Thai with Shrimp, and the sweet and sour taste sensations it...
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup is one of the most delicious of the soups to come from China. Deep, rich ...