Some soups are just as tasty hot as they are cold. However you serve Carrot Soup with Cucumber Pistachio Relish, add the garnish at the last minute to preserve its contrasting texture. The soup is visually appealing and incredibly delicious. Play up the vibrant hue of this colorful soup in sparkling-white bowls.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large (about 2 cups) onion, diced
- 4 Cups (about 10) chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 1/2 Cup diced seedless cucumber
- 1/2 Cup chopped pistachios
- 2 Tablespoons crystallized ginger, diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped mint
- Make the soup: Heat oil over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots, and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, curry, and cayenne and cook for 1 more minute. Add 5 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until carrots are tender--about 15 minutes.
- To serve cold, allow the soup to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. The soup may be served hot or cold. To serve hot, skip this step.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice and vinegar and set aside.
- Make the relish: Combine the cucumber, pistachios, ginger, cilantro, mint, and remaining salt in a small bowl.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a portion of the relish.
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Publications.
Warm, rich and comforting, this delectable cream soup will fill your tummy. Serve with oyster cracke...
Homemade Beef Broth or Brodo di Manzi is a rich, flavorful broth perfect for making consommes, aspic...
Peaches and cream is a traditional favorite blending of flavors, but the addition of a hint of Amare...
Chinese Egg Drop Soup is a classic and a favorite of Chinese-American takeout restaurants. It is ric...