Carrot Purée may be served as a delicious, exotic side dish or as a spicy appetizer with crackers or breads. Simple and superb, this Tunisian dish is exceptional. Mashed rather than processed, the carrots retain their fiber and provide a unique texture.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 6 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons harissa (Tunisian chile paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper, as needed
- Steam carrots until completely soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain and mash to a coarse paste with whisk or fork.
- Add oil, vinegar, harissa, ginger, salt and pepper; mix well.