Caribbean Black Beans
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beans
- 1 1/2 chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic; chopped fine
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 t dried
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 1/2 Cups drained cooked black beans; (three 16-ounce cans)
- 3/4 Cup orange juice
- 1 salt and black pepper to taste
- Saute the onions and garlic until barely soft. Add the spices and saut until very soft. Stir in the beans and orange juice and saute for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Mash a few of the beans with a fork or that back of a spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- They are a little dry on their own. Serve them with Mango Salsa. They could probably be served with regular, store-bought salsa and/or sour cream and/or guacamole.