Whether you use this to top your burgers or on a pizza, you will adore the sweet, aromatic flavor of Caramelized Onions. Great with pates and chopped liver or with cheese. Scrumptious.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions; thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons red wine (or balsamic) vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes or until very soft.
- Reduce heat to low and add vinegar and sugar.
- Cook until liquid is nearly evaporated, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot over burgers.
Exchanges: 3 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Use as a topping for burgers, pizzas or as an accompaniment with chopped liver or meat pates.