Caramelized Coffee Flan offers a unique flavor combination, yielding an extraordinary sensation for the palate and an ideal dessert to end the meal.
Caramelized Coffee Flan
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 14 ounces can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Place sugar in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until sugar crystallizes into lumps (about 15 minutes). Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and turns a light golden brown (about 15 minutes).
- Quickly pour hot caramel mixture into an ungreased 8-inch round cake pan, tilting to coat bottom evenly. Set aside (mixture will harden).
- Combine eggs and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a wire whisk until coffee granules dissolve. Pour egg mixture over caramelized sugar in cake pan.
- Place cake pan in a large shallow baking dish. Pour hot water into outer baking dish to a depth of 1-inch. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 350 degrees F. for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted near center of flan comes out clean. Remove pan from water, and let cool.
- Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- To serve, loosen edge of custard with a spatula, and invert onto a serving plate.