Caramel Flan is a descendant of ancient Roman custards and one of the few recipes that survived from the old empire to modern times via France and Spain. Flan was brought to the Americas by Columbus, and is popular throughout Latin America. Most every country has a version of flan in one form or another.
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar, dark brown, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can evaporated whole milk (12 ounces)
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the granulated sugar with 1 Tablespoon water. Stir over moderate heat until the sugar turns a medium caramel color, about 3 minutes.
- Working quickly, pour the caramel into six (6-ounce) custard cups; don't worry if they're not evenly coated.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the brown sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Gradually whisk in the evaporated and whole milk.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve and then pour it into the custard cups.
- Place the cups in a baking pan and add enough very hot (but not boiling) water to reach halfway up the side of the cups. Carefully, without spilling water into any of the cups, place the baking pan in the oven.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until set. A knife or toothpick inserted into the center of one custard should come out clean. When it does, the custards are done.
- Let the flans cool to room temperature in the water bath, for at least 45 minutes.
- Remove the cups, carefully, from the water bath. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, run a knife tip around the edge of each flan and invert onto dessert plates. Serve cold. You may garnish with mint leaves, berries, or serve plain.
Kir Royale Ice Cream is a unique and interesting recipe; an Epicurus original, tested again and agai...
Gooseberry JamRecipe Type: Condiments Cuisine: German, Jewish Author: Epicurus.com Kitchen...
The complex flavors of Little Italian Sausage Burgers creates a glorious eating experience. Enjoy it...
Creamy Celeriac Soup with Applewood-Smoked Bacon combines extraordinary ingredients to make a super...