This exceptional recipe for Rarebit uses California’s favorite cheese and makes a great supper, superb brunch or luncheon dish.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 Cup white wine; dry
- 2 1/2 Cups Monterey Jack cheese; cubed
- 1 each egg; large, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon basil; crushed
- 2 Cups mushrooms; fresh, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the top of a double boiler. Add the wine and heat, then stir in 2 cups of the cheese. Heat until melted.
- Add a little of the cheese mixture to the beaten egg and then add the egg mixture back into the cheese. Cook and stir about 1 minute.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and basil, set aside keeping the sauce warm.
- Saute the mushrooms in the remaining butter until just tender then sprinkle with the garlic powder and remove from the heat.
- Arrange toast points or triangles on individual heatproof plates.
- Spoon the sauce over the toast then top with the sauteed mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and broil until bubbly.