An incredibly rich, flavorful chowder enhanced by spicy heat and a luscious texture. Simply wonderful eating. Dungeness crab makes it sweet and delicate.
California Dungeness Crab Chowder
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups
- 4 ounces applewood-smoked bacon, diced
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Cup corn
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 pasilla chile, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded, split
- 1 teaspoon crab seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Quart crab stock
- 2 pounds Maine potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1-1 1/2 Cups heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 pound Dungeness crabmeat
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- In heavy, 6 quart pot, cook bacon to render fat. Remove bacon when crisp. Leave half of fat in pan. Add butter and corn; cook to soften, 5 minutes; remove and set aside. Add onions to pan; cook until translucent then add pasilla chile. Cook 3 to 4 minutes; set aside with corn. Add celery to pan, cook briefly then add garlic. Return corn, onion, pasilla and bacon to celery. Add jalapeño halves, crab seasoning, chipotle powder, thyme and bay leaf.
- Add just enough stock to cover vegetables; add potatoes. Over high heat, bring to boil and cook 4 minutes.
- Add cream and cream cheese, simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add pepper and salt. If mixture needs thickening, smash a few potatoes with back of spoon. Remove and discard jalapeño halves.
- Prepare cilantro oil by puréeing cilantro and oil.
- To serve, place chowder in a bowl, add 1 to 2 ounces crabmeat and a dab of cilantro oil.