This recipe for Caldo Gallego is an amazing way to warm body and soul. The result is a comforting, delicious soup that fulfills all your desires. Rich aromatic flavors will fill the air as you cook this Spanish classic.
- 1/2 pound smoked ham
- 1/2 pound cured, unsmoked ham
- 1 pound veal
- 1/4 pound lean smoked bacon or salt pork; in one thick slice
- 1 pork sausage
- 1/4 stewing chicken; optional
- 1 Cup dried white beans
- 1/2 medium white cabbage head; chopped coarsely
- 4 turnips; cut in two
- a few tender turnip greens
- 1 pound potatoes; cut in quarters
- 1/2 medium onion; sliced
- 1/2 Chorizo (or pepperoni) sausage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the ham, veal, bacon, pork sausage, and stewing chicken in an earthenware pot, cover with cold water, season, put on lid, and simmer as slowly as possible for 4 hours. An hour after putting on the meat, place the white beans in a second pot, pour in cold water to the level of the beans, and add 4 more cups of water.
- Simmer the beans slowly until almost tender, then add the cabbage, turnips, turnip tops, potatoes, onion, and the whole chorizo (or pepperoni) sausage. Continue simmering slowly, adding boiling water if necessary to keep food covered. When the vegetables are almost cooked, combine the vegetables and their broth with the meat, season to taste, and let it all simmer together another half hour.
- Serve the liquid first as a soup, followed by the meat, pork sausage, bacon, and chicken cut into serving pieces on one platter, accompanied by the vegetables on a second platter with the chorizo.
This is a bourgeois version of the 'caldo' and makes a hearty two-course meal. It is sometimes referred to as a "Pote" Gallego to distinguish it from the humbler 'caldo', but I have it on authority that 'pote' is a Madrid term; Galicians refer to this version as Caldo Gallego.
It seems everyone likes things made Buffal0-style. Here's a recipe for Crispy Lamb Riblets that wil...
Bulgogi is the one of the most popular dishes in Korea, and one which Westerners find very pleasing....
Witches Hair and Sea Creatures is an incredible Italian dish ideal for Halloween Night's dinner. It ...
Perfect for leftover turkey from your holiday meal, this delicious chowder is full of great flavors ...