Cajun spice mixes add a wonderful warmth and fire to any dish to which they are added. Kick it up with this spicy blend.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 1 batch
- 4 Tablespoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder or flakes
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder or flakes
- 1 Tablespoon gumbo file
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin (or whole seeds toasted and ground)
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander (or whole seeds, toasted and ground)
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground fenugreek (or whole seeds, toasted and ground)
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground fennel (or whole seeds, toasted and ground)
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In the large bowl of a food processor, combine all the ingredients and pulse for 30 seconds or until finely ground. Store in an airtight container in a cool place. Use within 3 months.
- *Note* This has a much more exuberant flavor than the premixed spices from the grocery. It is best when the ingredients are fresh.
Serving size: 1 Tablespoon 21 calories 0.6 gram fat 0 mg. cholesterol 296 mg. sodium