Cabbage Soup with Beef is an exceptional soup, full of comforting earthy flavors and ingredients that satisfy both palate and soul. Simply delish!
Cabbage Soup with Beef
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 3/4 pints (7.5 litres) water
- 12 ounces (350 g) brisket of beef
- 1/2 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly milled white pepper
- 4 white peppercorns
- 2 ounces (50 g) rindless streaky bacon
- 1 large pickled beetroot
- 12 ounces (350 g) white cabbage
- 4 ounces (100 g) leeks
- 1 Tablespoon pork dripping
- 1 Tablespoon concentrated tomato puree
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons wine vinegar
- 4 fluid ounces (100 ml) sour cream to garnish
- Bring the water to the boil. Add the beef and bring back to the boil, removing the scum.
- Seal the cut side of the unpeeled onion half on an electric hob (burner), or skewer it on a fork and hold it over a gas flame until brown and add to the meat, together with the bay leaf, salt and peppercorns.
- Simmer the meat over a low heat for about 1 hour with the lid of the pan slightly open.
- Dice the bacon. Cut up the beetroot. Clean the cabbage and cut it into strips. Clean and slice the leeks. Heat the dripping in a large saucepan and fry the bacon. Add the cabbage and leeks and fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in the beetroot and its juice with the tomato puree.
- Lift the beef out of the stock and slice it. Gradually stir the meat stock into the vegetables. Add the beef, season to taste with the vinegar, sugar, salt and white pepper. When serving, add a spoon of soured cream to each portion.
Serving size: each serving Calories: 430