Butter and onions create one of the most heavenly combinations of both aroma and flavor. This soup meets the challenge and provides a wonderful start to the meal or a great lunch.
- 2 Cups onions; thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup butter, salted
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 3/4 Cups Swiss or Gruyere cheese shredded (6 to 8 ounces)
- salt and pepper; to taste
- croutons; optional
- In a large kettle, saute onions in butter over low heat until tender and transparent, about 20 to 30 minutes. Blend in flour.
- Gradually add broth and milk; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more; reduce heat to low. Add the cheese and stir constantly until melted (do not boil).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with croutons if desired.
A Southern classic, this recipe is one of our favorites. Eaten hot or cold, Honey Fried Chicken has...
Avocado Ice Cream is often served as either a unique dessert or a starter course. Either way, it's a...
Walnut Soup is an Irish classic, mild in flavor and rich in protein. The creamy taste is delightful...
Pissaladiere is the southern French version of Italian pizza, made with onions, anchovies and oil-cu...