Butter and onions create one of the most heavenly combinations of both scent and flavor. This soup meets the challenge and provides a wonderful start to the meal or a great lunch.
- 2 Cups onions; thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup butter, salted
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 3/4 Cups Swiss or Gruyere cheese shredded (6 to 8 ounces)
- salt and pepper; to taste
- croutons; optional
- In a large kettle, saute onions in butter over low heat until tender and transparent, about 20 to 30 minutes. Blend in flour.
- Gradually add broth and milk; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more; reduce heat to low. Add the cheese and stir constantly until melted (do not boil).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with croutons if desired.
Chunky Fruit Barbecue Marinade and Chutney is perfect with grilled or baked pork, fish, poultry or g...
The exciting taste of citrus enhances and brightens the flavor of Citrus-Rosemary Grilled Turkey. Gr...
Cauliflower is somewhat bland on its own, but made into this exceptional 'au gratin', it shines as a...
Lemon Tagliatelle is a Greek pasta recipe with a tangy freshness that can't be beaten. It is a great...