Butter and onions create one of the most heavenly combinations of both scent and flavor. This soup meets the challenge and provides a wonderful start to the meal or a great lunch.
- 2 Cups onions; thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup butter, salted
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 3/4 Cups Swiss or Gruyere cheese shredded (6 to 8 ounces)
- salt and pepper; to taste
- croutons; optional
- In a large kettle, saute onions in butter over low heat until tender and transparent, about 20 to 30 minutes. Blend in flour.
- Gradually add broth and milk; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more; reduce heat to low. Add the cheese and stir constantly until melted (do not boil).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with croutons if desired.
Chef Waldy Malouf's Yellow Tomato Soup allows the extraordinary qualities of the beautiful fruit shi...
Making a fab dessert? Try Meringue Nests as a base for berries, puddings, ice cream, or other goodie...
An American treasure, Buttercrunch Popcorn is a snack full of sticky, buttery, sweet fun and flavor....
The glorious flavor and delicate texture of fresh Yorkshire Puddings make them an outstanding deligh...