The kids will love these flavorful cookies, and so will you. Perfect with a cup of cream tea or soothing flavored coffee. A real treat!
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup butter; softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 Cups flour; sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring (optional)
- Mix sugar, salt and butter thoroughly. Add egg and vanilla and beat till fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda and cinnamon and add to mixture.
- Chill well, several hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, roll the dough out until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into fancy shapes and bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees F. Let cool; cover cookies with glaze.
- MAKE THE GLAZE: Mix the glaze ingredients together until smooth.
- Roll the dough out until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into fancy shapes and bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Let cool and glaze.
* Rolled cookies for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays - We almost never make these cookies except at the holidays. They just seem to be cookies suited to late Autumn and Winter. (We did make a batch of heart shaped ones last Valentine's day.) We usually make these cookies in holiday shapes and frost them with seasonal colors. This is a good recipe for kids to help out with.
* It helps to keep most of the dough in the refrigerator while you are cutting shapes. It cuts much better when it is cold.
* These are time-consuming and fairly difficult, but worth it.
Serve traditionally with a glass of milk to the kids, coffee or tea for the folks.
Sauerbraten is an incredibly flavorful German main course. The dish is a simply braised marinated ro...
The flavor of Ruth Agar's Standing Rib Roast is nothing less than spectacular, though the recipes is...
Fresh herbs and garlic in a tangy vinaigrette are an exquisite compliment to Grilled Skirt Steak wit...
Whether made as a single pie or as tarts, Cranberry Mince Pie is a perfect treat for Thanksgiving or...