Butterscotch Ice Cream (Scottish)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
- 2 ounces butter
- 6 Tablespoons level dark, soft brown sugar
- 1/2 pint warm full cream milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 ounces superfine sugar
- 4 drops vanilla essence
- 10 fluid ounces fresh whipping cream
- Melt the brown sugar and butter together in a pan over a gentle heat.
- Increase the heat until the mixture bubbles for I minute only.
- Allow to cool slightly. Add the warm milk. Stir continuously over a gentle heat until thoroughly blended. Allow to cool.
- Beat together the eggs and the superfine sugar in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture from the saucepan on to the beaten eggs/sugar, add the vanilla essence and stir. Strain back into the pan. Stir over a low heat until the mixture thickens slightly; take care not to let it boil.
- Cool the mixture. Whip the cream lightly and fold into the cooled mixture.
- Pour into a freezer container and freeze until mushy. Beat with a whisk and return to the freezer until the ice cream is firm.
Goes particularly well with sliced peaches, caramelized pecans or even pistachios. This delectable flavor makes a great sundae with chocolate or other flavors.