Butternut Squash Topped Shepherd’s Pie offers a unique twist on the traditional, giving a wonderful flavor and superb dining experience.
Butternut Squash Topped Shepherd's Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 pounds lean ground beef (90%)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 heaping Tablespoon organic all-purpose flour
- 1 pint plus 1 ounce beef stock
- 4 teaspoons tomato purée
- 2 ounces mature Cheddar, grated
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F/190 degrees C/gas 5 (170 degrees C for fan ovens).
- Put 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a bowl and add the butternut squash. Season and mix well. Transfer into a roasting tin and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and add the onion. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened, then add the ground beef.
- Cook over a high heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned all over. Stir in the thyme leaves and flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the stock, stir in the tomato purée and season. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, roughly mash the squash in the roasting tin. Transfer the meat mixture into a 1.5-litre ovenproof baking dish and spoon the mashed squash on top, to cover the ground beef completely. Scatter over the cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
- Serve with green beans or seasonal vegetables.
Serving size: 1 portion Calories: 715 Fat: 37.5 g Saturated fat: 7.8 g Sugar: 8 g Sodium: 2.2 g