A delicious bread that is best served with creamy butter, this recipe is wonderful with afternoon tea, or for breakfast with your morning coffee.
- 1 pound flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 Cups buttermilk or thick soured milk
- Set the oven to 425 degrees F / Gas 7. Grease and flour a baking sheet.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Lightly rub in the butter. Add the buttermilk and mix to a light, soft dough.
- Divide into two and shape into rounds on a lightly floured surface.
- Place the rounds on the baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
Serve sliced with butter.