There’s nothing like a high quality Butter Pecan Ice Cream any time of year. The flavor is incredibly comforting and easy on the palate. A truly delightful confection. Dark muscovado sugar adds a dynamic and intriguing dimension.
- 1 1/2 Cups heavy cream
- 1 1/3 Cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 Cup dark muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (generous)
- 4 1/4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- a couple of handfuls of pecan nuts, either halved of quartered (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- On low heat, in a saucepan, lightly warm the milk, cream, salt, vanilla and half of the sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Make sure this mixture is not boiled.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs and the other half of the sugar and pour the milk cream mixture over the top and whisk lightly. Pour this whole mixture back into the pan and on a low heat stir constantly for about 10 to 15 minutes. In this time the mixture should thicken until it covers the back of a spoon but do not let it boil. The heating process should be done on a low heat. Add in the butter.
- This is ready to churn. I have a machine with a built in freezer which means that I leave the mixture in the fridge overnight before churning it for about 45 minutes. Follow the instruction manual for your ice cream maker.
- To make the pecans you have a few options. You can lightly toast them and throw them in – they’ll be delicious anyway. We stir fried them with butter in a frying pan, added the sugar and baked in the oven for 10 minutes or if you’re feeling adventurous, you can make sugared or caramelized pecans. It all depends how much time you have.
- Once the ice cream has churned, stir through the pecans and freeze. Eat within a couple of weeks, provided it lasts that long.
Gloriously Simple Roast Turkey is one of the easiest ways to get a flavorful, plump and juicy bird w...
Perfect for summertime picnics and entertaining, Chilled Cucumber Soup is creamy and full of refresh...
Bread and Butter Pudding is an old English classic is a perfect solution when you have an excess of ...
Almond Cake with Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote is the quintessential end-of-summertime dessert with all...