In our Butter Lettuce and Herb Salad, the soft texture and buttery richness of the lettuce are gloriously balanced with fresh herbs and a tangy dressing that brings out the best flavors. Simple and delicious. This is a great salad to serve along with seafood or grilled meats. Perfect with seared scallops, lobster or crab, lotte, grilled steak, pork or chicken.
- 2 small heads butter or Boston lettuce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons minced fresh herbs; see * Note
- 4 lemon slices (disks) cut in half - two halves per plate
- Wash the lettuce, then dry it and tear it into bite-sized pieces. Place it in a large bowl and chill until ready to toss.
- Combine the Dijon, lemon juice and vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the lettuce with the vinaigrette and the herbs.
- Serve with lemon slices for garnish. Use the garnish to add more lemon flavor if desired.
Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 5 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
A rich, slow cooking Homemade Chicken Broth affording maximum flavor. Great for sauces, bastes, grav...
Cannoli Siciliana are a traditional treat made and sold in Italian bakeries around the world. They a...
Italians prepare Brown Buttered Noodles as a side dish when serving roast meats. Its rich butter sau...
Our Publisher's aunt, Mary Salamone was a great cook of traditional Southern Italian fare. Here is A...