Butter Cookie Cutouts
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cookies
Serves: 2 dozen
- 3 Cups sifted white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg; unbeaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup butter
- 2 Tablespoons water - approximately, and very hot
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- food coloring (optional)
- Heat oven to 350?F.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cream butter and sugar together thoroughly, add egg and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
- Gradually stir in sifted dry ingredients until well-blended.
- Roll small amounts of dough 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured board.
- Shape with cookie cutter.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350? until delicately browned. 10 to 12 minutes.
- Frosting: Mix together ingredients, add food coloring if desired and sprinkle with sugar decorations.
Add a few drops of pure maple syrup to the mixture to give a unique maple flavor.