These flavorful crepes make an ideal brunch, whether you are vegan or not. Delicious.
Buckwheat Crepes with Potato and Mushroom Filling
Author: Anna Thomas
Recipe type: Buckwheat
- 12 large buckwheat crepes
- 1 pound Portobello or shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- salt to taste
- 3 large yellow onions; chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 Cup dry white wine
- flat-leaf parsley; coarsely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Swiss or Fontina cheese; grated
- Clean the mushrooms and cut them in 1/2-inch dice. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of butter in a large non-stick skillet and stir the minced garlic in it for a minute. Add the mushrooms and a little salt, and saute for 10-12 minutes, until they are tender and starting to sizzle.
- In another skillet, cook the chopped onions in the remaining olive oil and butter, with a dash of salt, until they are soft and turning golden.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in 1/2-inch dice. Combine them in a saucepan with the white wine and enough water just barely to cover them, as well as 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring the water to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pan tightly, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender. Remove the lid and continue cooking gently, stirring once or twice, until the liquid is reduced and thickened to a sauce. Stir in the sauteed onions and mushrooms, as well as chopped parsley and fresh-ground black pepper to taste.
- Allow the potato-mushroom mixture to cool slightly, then fill the crepes. Spoon 2-3 rounded tablespoons of filling across the center of each crepe, then sprinkle a litle grated cheese over the filling before rolling or folding the crepe loosely over it. You should have about a dozen filled crepes.
- Cover the crepes loosely with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until they are hot through and the cheese is completely melted.
Source: "The New Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas