The French prepare their Yule Log in cake, meringues and buttercream frosting and take warmth from the delicious taste of Bûche de Nöel, an outstanding pastry confection. Joyeaux Noël!
- 1 Cup cake flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 Cup cream of tartar
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- cocoa, powdered
- 1 Cup butter, sweet - softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon espresso, powdered
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 3 Cups sugar, confectioners, sifted
- marzipan cranberries
- sprigs of rosemary
- Grease a jelly roll baking sheet. Line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Beat eggs at high speed about 5 to 10 minutes. Add sugar by tablespoonfuls. Continue beating until the butter is very thick. Then add lemon juice and water. Fold in dry ingredients in four stages, 1/4 cup at a time. Spread evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 15 minutes or until the sponge springs back when tested. Sift powdered sugar onto the sponge. Turn cake out onto a clean tea towel. Remove parchment paper. Trim edges of the sponge if they are crispy. Roll up gently, leaving towel inside, while still warm. Let cool.
- Beat egg whites, and when foamy add the cream of tartar. When soft peaks form, gradually beat in the sugar. Beat until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Pipe meringue through a pastry bag, making and equal number of stems and caps to resemble small mushrooms.
- Bake mushroom pieces at 250 degrees F. about 45 minutes. When cool, glue them together with butter cream icing and dust lightly with cocoa in a fine strainer.
- Beat egg yolks and butter together until smooth. Add coffee and milk. Gradually add powdered sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Unroll cooled sponge, remove towel, spread cake with buttercream frosting. Roll up. Cut off a 2-inch slice, at a diagonal. This is the tree stump. Frost the outside, then add the stump and frost. Add the mushrooms. Dust the whole cake very lightly with powdered sugar, to simulate snow.
- Optionally, add marzipan cranberries. Garnish with fresh sprigs of rosemary, to represent boughs of evergreens.
- Keep in refrigerator. Remove rosemary before cutting with serrated knife.
Absolutely delicious by any measure, English Cheddar and Vegetable Medley Soup is perfect for a full...
Delicious, nutty, moist and crunchy, Maple Nut Rugelach are tender morsels filled with joy and delig...
The depth of flavor good Bourbon affords to pork is astounding. Marinated in it, glazed in it, this ...
When contemplating a luxurious and tasty brunch, you will want to try a delicious Cranberry Walnut M...