A bit off the original Mexican recipe, this version adds bacon, Tabasco and a few other ingredients to create an individual, unique salad experience. Great if you like your salads spicy.
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 tin of anchovy filets
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 egg yolk, use extra large egg
- 1 Tablespoon prepared hot mustard
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 Cup olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound bacon
- Cook the bacon until very crisp. Set aside and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Place egg in a glass of warm water and set aside until it reaches room temperature (10-15 minutes).
- Crush the garlic in a large wooden bowl. Add the anchovies and crush into a pulpy mass. Mix with black pepper.
- Add mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Separate the egg, keeping the yolk. If you can't find any extra large eggs then 2 small eggs is fine. Stir in each of these ingredients thoroughly as you add each one.
- SLOWLY add the oil from the anchovy tin, using a French whisk to mix.
- SLOWLY add olive oil, rapidly whipping until you get a thick paste. You may have to vary the amount of oil to achieve this (at least 3/4 Cup).
- Squeeze in some red wine vinegar to taste. Once around the bowl is usually enough.
- Squeeze in one lemon for the juice, again to taste.
- Just before serving, add the lettuce, croutons, crushed bacon and Parmesan cheese. Toss Thoroughly.
- The trick to this is the dressing should be quite thick before adding the red wine vinegar and lemon juice.
- You may want to add more garlic, Tabasco, Worcestershire, mustard depending on how spicy you like your Caesar Salad.
Artichokes Stuffed with Breadcrumbs makes a wonderful side dish for an extraordinary meal. The flavo...
Trenette is a simple pasta, usually flat but hollow tubes. Trennette with Smoked Chicken and Mozzare...
Rhubarb Tarte Tatin served with Mascarpone is an outstanding British dessert of impeccable quality, ...
Great served with hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled bratwurst or other summertime barbecued or grilled m...