Brown Veal Stock
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Stocks and Foundation Sauces
- 5 pounds veal bones
- 6 Quarts water
- 1 1/4 pound carrots sliced
- 3 medium onions quartered
- 5 stalks celery cut into pieces
- 4 cloves garlic halved
- 5 bay leaves crumbled
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley
- Place veal bones in a shallow roasting pan. Bake at 450 F. for 45 minutes or until bones are well browned, turning occasionally.
- Combine browned bones & water in a 14 quart stockpot. Cover; cook over medium low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover & simmer 4 hours, skimming surface frequently with metal spoon to remove scum. Add carrots, onions, celery, garlic & bay leaves; arrange parsley on top.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered 6 hours.
- Remove from heat & cool. Strain stock through a paper towel lined sieve into a large bowl. Discard bones & vegetables.
- Cover & chill stock. Skim solidified fat from stock & discard.