Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Stocks and Foundation Sauces
Serves: 6 Cups
- 2 pounds beef bones and trimmings
- 2 pounds veal bones, cut up
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed, unpeeled, and cut up
- 3 large onions, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, split
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Cups hearty red wine
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- several sprigs of fresh thyme
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 Cups water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the bones, carrots onions celery and garlic in a roasting pan and sprinkle them with the oil.
- Roast, turning the bones from time to time until very well browned about 1 1/2 hours. Scrape the bones and vegetables into a large stock kettle. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 4 To 5 hours or longer skimming the foam from the surface from time to time. It is not difficult to make stock at home and the results are well worth the trouble.
- Far healthier and tastier than any kind of commercial stock base homemade stock produces sauces of infinitely higher quality as well. Don't hurry the process; most stocks benefit from long slow simmering on the back of the stove. Then strain the stock through a cheesecloth lined strainer and allow it to cool. Skim off any fat and chill.
- Yield: About 6 cups.